Sylah was formerly a Matoran from the Southern Islands, who along with many others, was kidnapped and converted into a mutated Toa-like creature (intended to be a biological entity similar to Marendar). However, along with the help of Toas Rahzahkea and Shard, Sylah escaped and brought vengeance to her tormentors. After roaming the Matoran Universe for many years, she escaped to New Atero, and joined the people there in defending against the various evil beings there.
Sylah was originally a Vo-Matoran living on one of the Southern Islands, which was famous for its Toa Team, which included Rahzahkea. She was normally ignored by most of the other Matoran, due to her unremarkable appearance and personality.
At one point (as seen in a flashback vision imposed by Necrosis), Sylah had the opportunity to warn Rahzahkea (who had arrived on business) of Kiyara's rise to power, but neglected to because she was too shy to speak to him.
Some time after the island's Toa had left, Sylah, along with large amounts of other beings, was kidnapped and taken to Kiyara's island fortress, in order to be used for his experiments.
Strangely, Sylah was able to survive the initial testing phases, and was twisted into a Toa-sized, albeit powerless being. Kiyara expressed personal interest in her status, and personally experimented on the former Matoran, causing Sylah to further mutate into something else entirely...
Later, Rahzakhea and his Toa team broke into the fortress, inadvertently discovering the experiments occurring inside. Sylah herself, who had managed to temporarily escape her containment area, ran into the Toa, and in the ensuing chaos, both the mutant and the team were captured by the fortress guards. Sometime later, an unknown amount of time after Rahzahkea's capture, Sylah had been forcibly converted into a monstrous entity, more reminiscent of a Makuta than a Toa. Despite attempted resistance, Sylah remained susceptible to a hypnosis device, built in to Kiyara's mask, which reverted her into a robotic, Toa-killing state.
Kiyara attempted to summon Kirathel, but an unknown error in the attempt caused an energy pulse which shut down several key parts of the fortress.
Rahzahkea and Shard escaped their cells, leading a huge group of mutants against the guards and Kiyara. The tyrant sent his own "Bio-Marendar" squad, led by Sylah, to quell the resistance, but Rahzahkea managed to help break their mental controls, and the squad joined the resistance in the attack.
Kiyara faced down the group at the top of his fortress, but was mauled and tackled into Kirathel's portal by the entire Bio-Marendar squad, excluding Sylah, who managed to leave the portal. She then departed from the ruins of the island to find a new life elsewhere.
Life in the Matoran Universe, and New AteroEdit
Sylah moved to various parts of the Matoran Universe, fighting multiple dark creatures and tyrants in a self-imposed "vengeance" against beings like Kiyara.
Despite her actions, Sylah, due to her twisted appearance and powers, was feared by all those she "liberated", and was apparently attacked by a well-meaning Toa team at one time.
Some time later, Sylah left the Robot and flew aimlessly over the planet, reaching New Atero. She conversed with a nearby Toa, who showed a strange lack of fear or disdain towards her.
Having nothing better to do, the mutant helped try and find survivors in the rubble of the Temple of Light (which she had landed near) and inadvertently discovered a being called the Hunter watching them.
Sylah attacked, resulting in a long conflict where the Hunter escaped. Along with several other Toa, Sylah followed him and tried once more to best him, but was confined to a stalemate.
The Hunter escaped, along with a Toa who joined him, and Sylah returned to New Atero.
Calm Before the Storm, and Shadow InvasionEdit
Doubt and DeathEdit
The Catacombs, and the Suva BattleEdit
Appearance and Tools Edit
Sylah was originally a normal-looking Vo-Matoran, but after mutation resembled a reptilian Shadow Toa, almost like a Makuta. Her body also contained more bio-material (i.e. flesh) fused into it than a normal Toa.
The Toa possessed wings and (at several points) a tail, as well as claws and a Mask of Adaptation, fused to her face.
She wielded a sword she had taken from one of Kiyara's guards for many years, but while chasing the Hunter, supercharged it to a point where the metal melted.
Personality and TraitsEdit
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Sylah possessed a variety of abilities post mutation, putting her as potentially one of the strongest Toa in New Atero.
Her powers include;
- Electricity Manipulation and Control: Sylah could create and manipulate electric forces on a level far above a normal Toa, and could even absorb bio-electricity from other beings to weaken them and strengthen herself. It is unknown whether she can manipulate electrons.
- Shadow Manipulation: With her nature as a hybrid, Sylah could create shadow energy or constructs, and could even fight beings like Xantha for a time.
- Regeneration: Sylah demonstrated a strong healing factor, shown to help her survive and recover from an internal shadow blast by Xantha in several minutes.
- Flight: Sylah's wings, fused to her by Kiyara, allowed her to fly for long periods of time.
- Speed: Sylah was capable, at full power, to fly to the upper atmosphere of Spherus Magna, and back down in minutes (originally intended as an attack, but she has never attacked at this speed).
Adaptation/Transformation: As a result of her fused mask, Sylah could transform her body to suit a variety of needs, such as; - Shifting to a shorter, normal Toa-sized form with no wings and bladed limbs to move much faster.
- Shifting or un-shifting a spiked tail.
- Second Sight: Sylah, along with several other of the "Bio-Marendars", was given a built in second sight, which allowed her to locate various beings by following special energy trails they passively gave off. This heightened her potential for hunting, but could be abused/manipulated (like when Kirathel's powerful trace momentarily blinded her).
Shard: Sylah is decidedly distant towards Shard (the two have never spoken in character) as they both still resent each other (Shard due to her monstrous nature, Sylah because of said resentment).
Rahzahkea: While originally blaming Rahzahkea for her transformation, Sylah has moved on, and sees him now as an ally, rather than an object of hate.
Shadus: Both Shadus and Sylah have a friendship unique among most of the other beings in the Vanguard They have shown a more closer camaraderie, and Sylah has risked her life for Shadus (and him for her) on several occasions (such as when Sylah recharged Shadus and saved him from death). Both of their similar natures likely play a part in this attraction.
Torok: While initially hating Torok for sending beings like the Hunter against New Atero, Sylah's loathing is slightly lessened (as she understands his reason, however mis-aligned his methods might be). She even joined his group of allies (although this may have been driven by Kirathel mentally influencing her).
Her respect for Torok however, does not extend to his subordinates like the Hunter or Solorok, who she sees as beings corrupted by their own definition of the truth. This respect in and of itself was completely or virtually completely lost after the Secret Battle, replaced by a nervous distrust masking helpless anger towards him. Though she does not trust or like him, Sylah is able to talk civilly with Torok, though this is likely to not direct his fury towards herself or her friends.
Glacies: Though ignorant of his darker natures, Sylah was deeply grateful to the Matoran for his kindness and understanding towards her, not being distant like 'Kea or mistrusting her. Though unaware of his death for a long time, she was hit hard by his death, uncaring of what he had done in the past, and only caring for the light he had shown her.
Kirathel: The relationship between Sylah and Kirathel is unknown, but it is likely that she has the same bitter anger towards the Demiurge as Rahzahkea.
- Sylah was entered twice into the roleplay, the first time being retconned after she proceeded to hide in a corner of the Temple of Light and respond to a post not meant towards her.
- Sylah and Shadus being shipped together was alluded to by several users on the role-play (one of them channeling Greg Farshtey and yelling that love isn't canon).
- In original drafts of the Axia story, Sylah was a completely normal Water Toa, who fought alongside a Toa of Fire named Talrah, who played best friend to the "chosen one" Rahzahkea, then called Shard, who was in turn a Toa of Twilight intended to stop a war between several kingdoms on the planet.